Swachh Bharat Pakhwara
- The Delhi Government Authority celebrated Swachh Bharat Pakhwara on 7th June, 2016, which is a part of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
- It was a fortnight cleanliness drive to realize the Mahatma Gandhi’s dream of Swachh bharat which came in action from 16th May- 31st May, 2016.
- The Central Silk board instructed all R&D units and its sub units to submit report along with pictures on Swachh Bharat Pakhwara.
- As per the, Central report, R & D units submitted their report with
- The Airports Authority of India (AAI) also organised Swachh bharat pakhwara at rajiv Gandhi bhawan ,New Delhi
- AAI is responsible for maintaining and managing civil aviation department.
- In various departments of Delhi government, this drive came in action as a Swachh Bharat Pakhwara – a part of Swachh bharat Abhiyan.
- Various other program took place in this ceremony such as pledge for employees, debate competition, article writing, awareness workshop, review of old files reports and disposal of old items of stores, new techniques were also discussed in order to clean India, etc.
World Environment Day – “Join the race to make the World a better place”
- 5th June, 2016, is observed as World Environment Day and this year theme is “Join the race to make the World a better place”.
- World Environment Day is celebrated every year on 5th June so as to raise global awareness for environment.
- It is run by United Nations Environment Programme
- This event went for a week for creating awareness in the world.
- The Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) consists of nuclear supplier countries. It was formed in the 1974 after a nuclear explosion from non- nuclear country.
- Therefore, NSG was created, which is aimed that nuclear technology will be transferred for peaceful purposes.
- As per NSG guidelines mentioned by International Atomic Energy Agency, uranium and plutonium would not be transferred for nuclear explosive activities.
- Initially NSG-committee has seven members and they are Canada, France, West Germany, Japan, the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom and the United States Of America. While in later period the participation was expanded and now in 2016, NSG has 48-members.
- As per the NSG guidelines, NPT i.e. Non-Proliferation treaty has to be signed by all the member states.
- A two-day meeting of NSG was held on11th June, 2016 in Vienna for the approval of India’s application in NSG.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi made five country visit throughout the World for the purpose of NSG membership.
- And that is how, on 8th June, 2016 , Modi delivered a speech in a joint meeting of Congress at the Washington D.C, the U.S
- During his 45-minute speech, The House clapped 64-times out of which 11-times a standing ovation was received by him.
- Next meeting regarding NSG and membership of India is going to be held on 20th June, 2016.
“five point strategy” in a UN meeting, aiming to end HIV/AIDS threat by 2030.
- The Union Health Minister J.P. Nadda addressed a high-level meeting on HIV/AIDS at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA)
- On 9th June, 2016,India made a commitment to fast track the progress on ending the AIDS epidemic by 2030.
- According to Health Minister J.P Nadda, an increase in investment in this field should be focussed.
- He proposed “a five point strategy” in the support of his commitment.
- The five-point strategy includes-
- To adopt the fast track target that is to reach needy people as soon as possible with treatment and and to maintain TRIPS flexibility.
- Efforts to restore the respect and dignity of individuals.
- Global Unity
- .Prevention and precautions.
- The time limit to end the AIDS epidemic as public health threat was set to 2030.
- The agendas of sustainable development goals was also taken into consideration.
- Providing low cost generic medicines may also prove instrumental as 90% of medicines are provided by Indian pharmaceutical companies.
- f) The annual target of $26 billion in funding including $13 billion for the next three years was ensured by the Secretary-General to reinforce and expand the “unique, multi-sector, multi-actor approach” of UNAIDS.
MTCR – Missile technology control regime
- India has been admitted to members of missile technology control regime (MTCR)
- This was cleared when there was no objection from 34 nations committee till the deadline of objection expired.
- By entering into MTCR group india can now buy ‘High end missile technology’.
- MTCR group was established in april 1987.
- Initially there were 34 countries and now with india’s entry the no. will become 35.
- Israel , romania, slovakia and macedonia are unilateral adherents.
- The objective of MTCR group is to slow down the spread missiles and its technology which can be used for biological attacks and nuclear attacks.
- The technologies related to ‘export of ballistic missiles’,unmanned aerial vehicles ,space launch vehicles,drones,remotely piloted vehicles, cruise missiles , sounding rockets and their components are of major concern under this.
- The membership of india could prove indispensable step in curbing terrorism by getting missile technology on counter-terrorism.
India – The third largest oil consumer
- According to the BP Statistical Review of World Energy released on 8th June, 2016, India became the third largest oil consumer in the world.
- India has transcended Japan to become the world’s 3rd -largest oil consumer.
- India’s oil demand rushed to 8.1 % in 2015.
- India has oil demand of 4.1 million barrels a day as per BP statistical review of world energy .
- The top position in world has been acquired by U.S.
- US has Oil demand of about 19.39 million barrel per day followed by china which has oil demand of about 11.96 million barrel per day
- The contribution of India in world’s oil consumption is about 4.5 % in the year of 2015.
- The ‘oil’ is the world’s leading fuel with contributing percentage of 32.9% followed by coal with 29.2% share and natural gas with 23.8%.
India set to sell supersonic-missile Brahmos to Vietnam
- Indian Defense unit is ready to export one of the World’s fastest anti-ship cruise missile – Brahmos to Vietnam.
- The technology of Brahmos is based on Russian P-800 Onyx which is developed in between India and Russia for the last ten years.
- Brahmos- anti ship missile cruise can be launched through submarines, ships, land and aircraft. It has a capability to hit the target with a range of 290 km.This missile is three times faster than the speed of the sound. The cost of the cruise missile is estimated to be about $3 million.
- Though, it is big achievement for the Indians arms Industry, Eric Wertheim.This supersonic Missile is named after two rivers – Brahmaputra and Moskva.
- After Vietnam, India is planning to sell its fastest missile to Indonesia, Chile, Brazil and South Africa.
- Although, eleven more countries are showing interest to buy this supersonic missile. These Countries includes – Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand and the United Arab Emirates.
- India accounted a 14% of total imports during 2011-14.
- While by selling supersonic missile – Brahmos to these countries, India is expected to fetch more revenue.
Amazon to invest $3 billion in India
- Amazon Chief executive Jeff Bezos said on 7th June, 2016 that the company would invest an additional $3 billion(Rs.20,000 crore) in India.
- Though during Modi’s U.S visit, he had a separate meeting with Jeff Bezos in Washington D.C right after the roundtable meeting with top CEO in which Bezos was present with 22 other chief executives.
- The Amazon CEO Bezos promised to invest that much amount just after the moment when online taxi services- leading company Uber announced to expand its investment in india to $3.5 billion.
- The Internet and mobile Association of India estimates that the e-commerce market will expand up to 68% within one year, which is going to be worth of 2.1 lakh crore in December 2016.
French open Title 2016 winner Novak Djokovic
- Novak Djokovic defeated Andy Murray at the final round of French Open 2016 lon 5th June, 2016.
- By winning French title and his first french open Novak djokovic became the first player to win all four grand slams titles since 1969.
- John McEnroe the former world no.1 professional tennis player remarked the djokovic’ win as “his best shot ever”.
- This was djokovic’s 24th win against Murray in about 34 matches.
- The duration of match was about 3 hrs & 3 mins and the Match statistics are 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-4.
- The venue of the French open 2016 final match was Stade Roland Garros paris ,france.
- The tournament was played on outdoor clay courts.
- This was 115th edition of french open.
- In women’s singles Garbina Muguruza clinched the title.
- 9 time champion Rafael Nadal Withdrew the tournament due to injury.
Muhammad Ali veteran boxer
- Muhammad Ali was a most famous African American Olympic Boxer of Twentieth century.
- In his early phase of career, Ali was known as inspiring fighter.
- At the age of 12, he started training for a boxing, and hence he won gold medal in 1960 summer olympics in Rome, when he was just 18 years old.
- Thereafter, he transformed his religion into Islam.
- At the age of 22, he won WBC and WBA championships in 1964.
- In his boxing career, he fought for total of 61 fights out of which he won 56, which is a great success in itself.
- Fighter Muhammad Ali was first diagnosed by Parkinson’s disease in 1984 and In 1996, at Atlanta he was honoured of lighting an olympic torch during its opening ceremony. The whole ambiance of the ceremony was created as most emotional event.
- And that is how, he was not just a boxer, but known as a real fighter.
- On 3rd June, 2016, Boxing lead Mohammad Ali was died at the of 74 due to suffering from respiratory illness and suffering from Parkinson’s disease.
- His funeral was held on 10th June, 2016 in his hometown Louisville Kentucky.
Science And Technology News:-
Modified – Periodic Table
Four new elements added to periodic table-
- The International union of pure and applied chemistry (IUPAC) has named 4 new elements Nihonium, Moscovium, Tennessine and oganesson.
- The names of elements will be based on historical and chemical consistency of elements.
- The new names are added in place of atomic no. 113, 115, 117 & 118.
- The details of the symbols are –
- Nihonium has the symbol- Nh for element 113
- Moscovium has the symbol- Mc for element 115
- Tennessine has the symbol -Ts for element 117
- Oganesson has the symbol -Og for element 118
Arts, Culture And Awards News:-
Chandigarh Yoga festival from 9th June-12th June, 2016
- Chandigarh Yoga festival is to be held from 9th June-12th June, 2016.
- As the 2nd international yoga day (21st june) is approaching the ‘chandigarh yoga festival’ from 9th june to 12th june 2016 will be serving as dawn for the day.
- It is the 4th time that chandigarh administration is organising yoga festival.
- The span of event is of 4 days which includes history of yoga practices, its importance and evolution.
- Sri Sri Ravi Shankar ji,will address the public at the inaugural ceremony of Yoga Festival Named as “Yoga- The True Dimension”
- Bharatanatyam by Suchitra Mitra was followed by the address on the same day.
- Various events such as ‘Yoga for good life’ and ‘Yoga on Wheels’ will be commenced during the festival.
- The closing ceremony of the festival will be concluded by Baba Ramdev with his public address “Prabodhan-Towards Enlightenment”